Friday 15 June 2012

Look What I Got - Liberty of London Fabrics Discovered

On a fabric hunt last weekend, Mum and I visited Calico and Ivy in Mosman Park. It's on Glyde Street... a deceptively boring-looking street off Stirling Highway that actually has a gorgeous little strip of boutique shops and restaurants. We saw the window display for Calico and Ivy and practically skipped across the road. It was like walking into Willy Wonka Land for the creative heart. At first, you're bombarded with the most incredible range of coloured wools. My fingers were itching and I was already planning crochet projects in my head but I forgot them all when I saw the fabric section downstairs. It was a bit of a challenge logistically because I had my baby girl in her 3 wheeler (Her name is Isla and she is a shopaholic :o). I think I heard the typical sigh that accompanies the sight of a pram and/or baby, but she was as mesmerised as us and giggled as we piled her pram up with our favourite prints.

Unfortunately we had to behave ourselves (so said our purses) as the Liberty of London fabrics are quite expensive. But the unique designs and fine, almost silky quality of the fabric easily explained the prices. So with frowns and much procrastinating, we chose 2 prints each of the Liberty Tana Lawn and a gorgeous soft linen that had the look of old driftwood.

My first choice was Liberty Tana Lawn - Kalinich:
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread

 And my second choice was Liberty Tana Lawn - Mistral:
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread

Mums first choice was Liberty Tana Lawn - Mrs Robinson:
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread

And her second choice was Liberty Tana Lawn - Kate Ada:
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread
Photo courtesy of Rhapsody and Thread

This is the beginning of Rhapsody and Thread.
Mum and I have dreamt of this day for a long time, but neither of us felt the time was right until we found the uniquely beautiful designs and sophisticated quality of Liberty fabrics. Matched with our favourite linen, we plan to hand-craft a range of bags and accessories. There are so many different designs that we want to use, I doubt any piece will be the same. We're so excited to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment